Friday, June 02, 2006

acupacupacupacupacup

Today marks my fifth day without coffee.

For those of you who know me very well, especially in my daily living habits, you know that this is quite an accomplishment for me. I'm having one cup of tea per day, so I'm not weaned off the caffeine-bean-related beverages entirely. Yet.

The big test came yesterday morning. I awoke to the smell of brewing coffee. Hazelnut no less. I walked into the kitchen to the site of my roommate pouring a cup for herself and she had the urn perched over a second cup.

"Good morning. Want a cup?"

How could I have forgotten to tell her of this Herculean feat I was pursuing with such vigor? I stood there, trembling in the doorframe.

"Um, no thanks. I'm off coffee. For now." (Leaving myself a bit of an open door there.) "I think I'll just hop in the shower while you're having breakfast."

I stood in the shower for a long time and thought about the self-control mechanism. I have never had a very strong one. Perhaps this is the beginning of a new era for me.

Today, I sat in a six-hour long executive board meeting where everyone around me seemed to be drinking a gallon of coffee a piece. And still, I resisted. Even though the smell seemed to be actually clinging to my nose hairs and even though it was only 60 degrees in the room.

I'm going home on Friday in the rain again. And all the way home I'll be singing, "I like coffee/I like tea/I like the Java Jive/And it loves me..."

No comments: